Monday, April 19, 2010

Links for Soldier's Heart

Here are some links that might be of use as we/if we go forward with this Soldier's Heart Project.

PTSD Combat: Winning the War Within
A blog with a lot of information and links on PTSD in veterans. She also wrote a book with the same title.

Warrior's Sanctuary
I'm linking this page because of a paragraph in a comment that I found relevant:

This is such a complex issue, but one thing I have learned from all the PTSD experts I’ve interviewed for my own articles on the subject is this: any help to the family helps the PTSD sufferer. Lisa Jaycox, senior behavioral scientist at the RAND Corporation, says that the more stress a family is under, the harder it is to recover from PTSD. So even if I think I can’t possibly “cure” or “fix” the underlying issue, if I can help the family by mowing the lawn for them or bringing some meals, by offering to watch the kids for a while or by cleaning their house, that all serves to help relieve pressure that someone with PTSD just may not be equipped to handle. I would also encourage the veteran to get plugged in with other vets dealing with similar issues (preferably with a leader trained to really help), because so many times veterans don’t want to share their traumatic experiences with loved ones because they want to keep their minds innocent of the horrors of war.


Iraqi War Veterans Organization

with link to local advocates in North Carolina

Veterans Program at Citrus College

Boots to books with link to opportunity to donate for veterans to get books for program.

No comments:

Post a Comment